Retina Pad - Unleashing your iPad's hidden potential

A few days after Jailbreaking my iPad mini, I only managed to downloaded a handful of tweaks from Cydia. There are two reasons for this slow adoption on my end: i. Cydia sources were hammered making downloads almost impossible and ii. Not too many iOS 6.1 tweeks available mainly due to the fact that most dev teams are still scrambling to develop them.

So far I have downloaded tweaks I always considered essential to a Jailbroken iOS device, namely; SBSetting, Activator, and iFile. These are tweaks I have used before and still consider essential in enhancing my iOS user experience. I have also downloaded a few new tweaks I have not used before: f.lux, Mail Enhancer and Retina Pad. My favourite of the three so far is Retina Pad. Below is my review of this tweak/ app.

What it is

Retina Pad is a jailbreak tweak that literally unleashes the Retina display capability of your iPad/ iPad mini. What blew my mind with Retina Pad is how it enables Retina display for iPhone apps running on non-retina display iPads. I use Instagram a lot and ever since I got an iPad mini and my biggest beef has always been the absence of a native Instagram app for iPad mini. I had to install the iPhone optimized version w/c looks like this on my iPad.




If i wanted a bigger view then I zoom in but it pixelates the image a lot w/c destroys my experience. With Retina Pad however it optimizes the app for my iPd mini screen allowing me to utilize the full screen for Instagram without sacrificing image quality. (See image below- No Retina Pad on the left and w/ Retina Pad on the right).



Retina pad works for most iPhone apps and Retina display optimized games.

Why bother?

I love my iPad mini and I hate it when I open an app and see it is using less than 50% of my iPad screen. Not only does it look funny but it feels awkward- it feels like I'm using an iPhone trapped inside my iPad mini. If you value the idea of maximizing every millimetre of your hardware then Retina Pad is an app/ tweak for you.

This also frees your iOS device from the laziness or business decision of certain app developers not developing an iPad/ Retina optimized version of their app.

How to get it?

If you have already completed your jailbreak just open Cydia and it will be on the main page.(see screenshot)

If you have completed your Jailbreak and still do not see it, make sure you have BigBoss as a Cydia Source (Source link: http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/) If you have not Jailbroken your iPad yet- read my previous post on why Jailbreak. (Jailbreak is back)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice is blind but the scale is rigged when it comes to whistleblowers.

Tim Cook on Privacy.

How a robbery in 1976 robbed US citizens of their privacy in the digital age.