My essential tech travel kit

I am finally going on a vacation! I am running away from the cold weather here in Vancouver and will be heading to a warm and sunny place. I will be re-charging my battery after a very long and hectic couple of months at work but I also want to stay connected. Yes, I am like many people in the world today, I cannot stay unplugged for too long or else I will lose my mind. That is why, whenever I travel I always carry with my my Essential Tech Travel kit. 

My tech travel kit is a combination of both hardware and software that I consider essential in managing my trip and staying in touch and connected. I consider them essential because they can make or break the success of the planning that I put into my trip and it ensure that I have a smooth and relaxing vacation. Here is the run down:


Macbook Pro:
- This is a must for me on every trip. It keeps me sane and connected during long layovers. It houses my media library and when I am stuck in the airport for 2-3 hours  it becomes a lifesaver. It also allows me to do a little work done before leaving- but not on this trip because this trip is purely FUN!

iPad Mini:
- This little companion keeps me connected and up to date with the blogs that i follow. It also keeps me entertained in flight with my library of books and magazines. I do not have that much games on my iPad mini so it most likely wont be used for that. Before leaving I also transfered a few movies to it from my media library just in case I do not find anything good in the in-flight movie selection. 

Galaxy Note 2 (unlocked)
- This will serve as my primary means of communication overseas and I made sure I had it unlocked prior to leaving. If you have ever traveled and subscribed to your carriers roaming packages, you know having an unlocked smartphone can save you an arm and a leg. When I land in my destination all I have to do is buy a local prepaid SIM card and BOOM- Im connected. Aside from a means of communication my Galaxy Note 2 will also serve as my primary hub for staying connected (emails, IM, Social Network, etc) and in the Philippines (where I am going) I can have 30 days of unlimited 3G data for only $30. The connection speed is not as good here in Canada but it is enough to keep me connected. This will allow me to post pictures on facebook and instagram and tag all my envious friends left under Vancouver's rain. HAHAHA

Essential Travel Apps:
- CX Mobile
 - I always fly Cathay Pacific and this app is a must when you fly with them. It allows me to check up to date flight information and access to their online check-in service. It also allows me to access my booking details so I do not have to carry a printed copy of my tickets. If you are like me, I tend to lose paper very easily- I have a muscle reflex to throw paper in the garbage without reading it. 

- Agoda.com App
 - I booked all my hotels for this trip thru Agoda and this app allows me to manage them all conveniently. This app also allows me to carry my booking confirmations without having to print anything on paper. Paper not only creates clutter but is prone to being lost or damaged. 

- Google Maps
 - Although I was born and raised in the Philippines, I still consider this app essential. Its main function is for navigation purpose but lately I found it serves another function- it keeps me from being scammed by taxi drivers. I hate to admit but the reality is the Philippines is full of taxi drivers who drive you around a few extra blocks just t get more money out of you, having this app allows me to watch out for this. 

- Dell Voice/ Fongo
 - This is my favourite VOiP app of all time. The main reason I love it is the fact that it provides me with a local Canadian number that I can carry with my in the Philippines. It is essential for keeping in touch with people back in Canada. Having a local canadian number allows friends, family and bosses to call me anytime and it also allows me to call back home without having to pay international long distance charges. One thing to remember about this app is to make sure you have data connection- this wont be a problem for me in the Philippines like I mentioned earlier I can get unlimited data for $30. 



- Flipboard
 - I have this app on my Galaxy Note and iPad Mini and it is an app I use heavily. It gives me access to content from my favourite blogs and websites and also my social network (facebook, instagram and twitter). 

- Blogger
 - This app allows me to manage this blog while on the go. It allows me to keep you updated with how these apps served me on this trip. 

Some extra hardware

- Flip Mono HD
 - I love this video camera. It is handy and takes great High Definition videos of the most memorable part of my trip. It is also plug and play via a pop-out usb port which makes managing and sharing my videos easy. 

- RF ID Secure Pouch
 - This caters to the more paranoid side of me. This pouch looks very ordinary but it serves more than just to carry my passport and credit cards. This pouch is made of very innovative material that blocks any RF transmission coming from my cards. This means I can carry my chip secured credit cards and debit cards inside it without having to worry that my information gets transmitted to fraudsters and identity thieves. If you are travelling to a country that has high incidence of Fraud (ie. Philippines) then this little bad boy can be a life saver. Read more about products like this thru this link

That right there is my essential tech travel kit. I have them all packed (for the hardware) and updated (for the software) ready to help me make sure this trip is a success. 

How about you? Do you have your own essential tech travel kit?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice is blind but the scale is rigged when it comes to whistleblowers.

Tim Cook on Privacy.

How a robbery in 1976 robbed US citizens of their privacy in the digital age.